Operatives of the Department of State Services carried out a midnight attack on the residence of Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Adeyemo, better known as Sunday Igboho, in the Soka area of Ibadan, Oyo State, The PUNCH has learnt.

A top security source, who pleaded anonymity because he wasn’t authorised to speak on the matter, told The PUNCH on Thursday that the secret police operated in Sunday Igboho’s residence in Ibadan on Thursday morning.

“The DSS operated in his (Sunday Igboho) house in Ibadan on Thursday morning,” the security source confided in our correspondent.

The source, however, could not give details on whether Igboho was arrested or whether any of his aides were arrested or killed during the raid.

Efforts to speak with DSS Spokesman, Peter Afunaya, proved abortive as of the time of filing this report.

However, our correspondent sent Afunaya series of text messages seeking to know whether the secret police indeed raided the Ibadan residence on Igboho.

But the DSS spokesman neither deny nor confirm the report. “Got into a meeting, will revert to you afterwards. Good afternoon,” Afunaya wrote in one of his text messages to our correspondent on Thursday.

Two killed, says Igboho’s aide

Meanwhile, the activist’s spokesman, Olayomi Koiki, has said two persons were killed during Thursday’s early morning raid while several others were injured.

“The situation now is very bad. Two Yoruba sons have been killed in the house of Chief Sunday Igboho. The two dead bodies have been taken away by the military. We do not know of the location where they were taken to,” the aide said in a Facebook Live.

Koiki, who said the house was attacked around 1am on Thursday, also alleged the identities of the attackers to be soldiers.

However, the spokesman said, “He (Sunday Igboho) is currently safe.”

Our correspondent gathered that cars and walls of the house were riddled with bullets during the invasion.

One of our correspondents, who visited the house after the attack on Thursday, saw bloodstains splattered all over Igboho’s living room as well as the premises.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Oyo State, Adewale Osifeso, when contacted, said he also heard about the invasion but he would find out to know exactly what happened.

Efforts to reach the Director of Army Public Relations, Onyema Nwachukwu, proved abortive as of the time of filing this report.

Source: punch newspaper

Banner Content


Leave a Comment








img advertisement